Kitchen Thrift: Homemade Beef Stock

December 7, 2011

in Kitchen Thrift,Recipes,Soup

By Riki Shore

Beef Stock Veggies

I have a confession to make: I’d never made beef stock before yesterday.

I wasn’t even sure I’d like eating it.

But we’d amassed pounds of bones and an enormous knuckle in the freezer, and it was time to do something with them.

Thinking of all the healthy gelatin and fat – not to mention flavor – the bones contained, I went looking for a recipe for beef stock.

Beef Stock Bones

Primal Cuts is an amazing resource for all things meat-related. Compiled by Marissa Guggiana, it features recipes and stories from “America’s best butchers”. Ignoring the butcher-as-sinister-rock-star photos and the tougher-than-nails tone, you’ll find amazing recipes, both innovative and traditional, all of them appealing in the depths of winter.

Morgan Maki of Bi-Rite Market in San Francisco contributed a stock recipe, which I followed almost to a T. I changed amounts of some ingredients based on what I had in my fridge, and I’ve written it as I made it.

Finished Beef Stock

Homemade beef stock, it turns out, is delicious. It fills the house with the most wonderful aroma. And the next day, you can use it to make all kinds of things, like beef stew, brisket, and soup. The stock cooks all day, but the active time is only about 40 minutes.

4.5 pounds beef bones
3 yellow onions
1 pound carrots
1 head celery
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1/2 cup dry white wine

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Cook the bones in a roasting tray for about 30 minutes, until they’re browned.
2. Meanwhile, peel the carrots and coarsely chop them, the onions and the celery.
3. Remove the bones from the oven. Place them in a stock pot along with the veggies and peppercorns. Cover with cold water and turn the heat to medium-high.
4. Pour the wine over the bottom of the roasting tray and place over medium heat. Deglaze the pan, scraping up the caramelized bits, and reducing the liquid by half. Pour this into the stock pot and stir.
5. Just before the stock boils, you’ll notice a layer of foam on the top. Skim the foam and reduce the heat to low. You want the stock to stay at a very gentle simmer (I used the lowest setting on my stove). Continue to skim as needed and cook for 6 – 8 hours.
6. Turn off the heat. Scoop out the bones and larger pieces of veggies. Strain the stock into a bowl set in an ice bath. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate. You can use the stock the next day, keep it refrigerated for up to 4 days, or freeze it for up to 1 month. This made 6 – 7 cups of stock.

{ 7 comments }

Rebecca December 7, 2011 at 11:17 am

Must meat bones be roasted first or can they be added to the pot raw. I have not been roasting and I get very nice, gelatinous broths.

admin@threesquares December 7, 2011 at 8:58 pm

So many great comments! About roasting the bones: it’s not a necessary step, but it helps liquefy the fat and increase flavor. I’m not qualified to comment on whether it increases the nutritional value of the stock, and couldn’t find anything about that in my cookbooks. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in here!

Rosemary LaFollette December 7, 2011 at 11:32 am

to get the calcium out of the bones, my nourishing traditions recipe includes sea salt and vinegar. Your wine serves part of this purpose. The idea is 1 T of salt and 3 T of vinegar (use good cider vinegar (i.e., Braggs), Celtic sea salt. for the very long simmer (12-24 hours), I only include a entire head of garlic cut in half around the mid-latitude. The longer you simmer, the more gelatin is created and the better the calcium extraction. This form of calcium is of course very usable by our bodies. It makes me supremely happy to make.

Robin December 7, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Great recipe! I would love to know what the roasting of the bones is for. I’m sure it’s delicious, just wondering if there is something nutrition-related about doing this.

Jenny @ Colorado Uncouture December 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Re: question on roasting: From everything I’ve read (other online tutorials) it’s not only to “increase” flavour but to avoid a *bad* flavour, which apparently happens when you do not roast the bones. I’ve only made this once and because of reading that in several places I roasted mine, so can’t speak to the “off” flavour but I’m sure some time searching Google will lend explanations. Definitely agree on using ACV to draw minerals from the bones. I also throw in culinary herbs if I have some available. And, I never use fresh veggies, rather I save the peels and trimmings I would normally throw away in the freezer. Not only does this reduce cost but makes it easier as there is no chopping, just throwing it all in! Leek is my fave veggie to add to stock/broth : )

Debbie @ Easy Natural Food December 9, 2011 at 9:26 pm

I love making stock and try to make it once a week at least. We go through a lot of it in soups. Speaking of soups, I’m hosting a weekly blog carnival specifically for soups, stocks and chowders, every Sunday! I would love it if you would come over and post this recipe. Here’s a link with more information:

I hope to see you there!
Debbie

admin@threesquares December 10, 2011 at 7:44 am

Thanks, Debbie, I’ll give your blog carnival a visit soon!

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }